How does lingual orthodontic treatment work?
The lingual technique uses the same principle of dental position correction as the conventional technique. The big difference is that the braces are placed on the back of your teeth, which are invisible to others.
What are the advantages of lingual orthodontic?
- It doesn’t damage the enamel of the front part of your teeth
- Show your beautiful smile without any metal braces during the entire treatment
- There is no risk of cuts for athletes or people who may suffer blows to the face
- There is no excuse for not using orthodontics, if you want a beautiful smile you just need encourage yourself.
Can anyone have a lingual orthodontic treatment?
Almost any kind of patient can be treated with lingual technique, only in very specific cases due to its difficult resolution it is advisable to use the conventional technique. Age does not limit the use of lingual braces. However, it may be more difficult to provide lingual braces for children since their teeth may not have fully erupted. If your teeth and gums are not healthy, braces are not suitable.
How long is the treatment?
The treatment time will vary depending on the complexity of the problem. Each treatment is based on a comprehensive and individually personalised treatment plan. The treatment can take anywhere between 6 to 24 months.
Does it hurt?
Just like normal braces, lingual braces may be uncomfortable for the first 7-10 days.
During this time:
- You may take pain killers to reduce the discomfort
- You may place wax over the brackets to reduce the irritation to the tongue
- We recommend that you maintain a soft diet
Will it affect my speech?
Most people do notice a temporary change in their speech. This generally improves after an initial period of adaptation.
How should I brush my teeth with the lingual braces?
You will need to spend more time to keep your teeth clean. It is important to maintain a good standard of oral hygiene. This will mean that you will need to see a hygienist to have your teeth cleaned professionally every 3-4 months during treatment.